Application Procedures


UW System institutions begin processing applications September 15 for the following fall semester. Since most institutions have application priority dates or deadlines after which applications may no longer be considered, it is generally to your advantage to apply as early as possible after September 15. Consult Introduction to the University of Wisconsin System, your high school counselor or the individual institution(s) for up-to-date information about deadlines.

Online Process

If you wish to apply for admission to more than one UW System institution, submit a separate application form to each. When completing the application, if the term you wish to apply for is not displayed as an option, please contact the admissions office at the campus of interest before submitting an application.

Print a copy of the Application Completion Instruction Sheet, which will be displayed after you electronically submit your application. The Application Completion Instruction Sheet will provide you with any additional instructions and requirements necessary to complete your application for admission. If you are applying to more than one campus, print the Application Completion Instruction Sheet for each.

If you are currently enrolled in high school, ask that an official transcript be forwarded to the Admissions Office. If your high school is set up to send eTranscripts, go to your high school website and follow the links to the electronic transcript request site. If you are NOT currently enrolled in high school, contact your high school to have an official transcript (beginning with grade 9) sent to the Admissions Office. If you have a GED/HSED, you will need to have an official score report sent in addition to an official high school transcript for years completed. If you did not pay the application fee online by credit card, also take your check or money order for $44 to your high school counselor. Your counselor will forward it to the appropriate institution along with an official high school transcript.

If you are no longer attending high school, submit the fee (if required), and request all required transcripts be sent directly to the admissions office of the appropriate UW System institution. See below for more information about fee and transcript requirements.

Do not submit a paper application if you submit an online application.

Requesting Disability Related Accommodations and Services

To receive information about disability-related services, including accommodations and academic adjustments, contact the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities at the institution to which you are applying. It is recommended that requests for disability-related services be made as soon as possible.

New Freshman Applicants

Application Fee: New Freshmen applying for admission must pay a nonrefundable $44 application fee with each application submitted. The fee is valid for one year (two semesters and a summer session). A separate check or money order, payable to the University of Wisconsin, must be submitted to each institution to which are you applying. Do not send cash.

The option to pay the nonrefundable application fee by credit card (Mastercard or Visa) will be available immediately following submission of your application. If you select this option, you will be transferred to a secure e-commerce server to provide credit card information and complete the transaction online. After submission of the application, an applicant can return to the application website to pay the application fee using a credit card at a later date. Applicants can log back into their application and view previously submitted applications. If the application fee payment has not been made, the pay status will indicate "Pay Now". When "Pay Now" clicked, the applicant will be sent to the payment website.

Transcripts: If you are applying as a new freshman, an official transcript of your complete high school record (beginning with grade 9) is required. If you have already graduated, contact your high school to have an official transcript sent to each UW System institution to which you are applying. If you have a GED/HSED, you will need to have an official score report sent in addition to an official high school transcript for years completed.

Test Scores: New freshmen are required to submit the results of the ACT or SAT to each campus to which they are applying. Nontraditional students may not be required to submit the results of the ACT or SAT. Consult the institution(s) to which you are applying to obtain information about standardized test requirements. If you have not taken the ACT or SAT, contact your high school counselor or the UW System HELP office to obtain information about how and when to take a test.

Transfer Applicants

Application Fee: The nonrefundable application fee of $44 is required for most degree-seeking students applying to a UW System institution. This fee is not required if your last institution attended was a UW Colleges freshman/sophomore campus (UW-Baraboo/Sauk County, UW-Barron County, UW-Fond du Lac, UW-Fox Valley, UW-Manitowoc, UW-Marathon County, UW-Marinette, UW-Marshfield/Wood County, UW-Richland, UW-Rock County, UW-Sheboygan, UW-Washington County, UW-Waukesha). The fee is required if you are transferring between four-year campuses. The fee is good for one year (two semesters and a summer session). A separate check or money order, payable to the University of Wisconsin, must accompany each application. Do not send cash.

Transcripts: An official transcript of your complete high school record (beginning with grade 9) and transcripts from all postsecondary institutions you have attended are required. Contact your high school and each previously attended institution to request that official transcripts be sent to the UW System institution(s) to which you are applying. If you have a GED/HSED, you will also need to have an official score report sent.

Test Scores: Neither the ACT nor the SAT is generally required of transfer students. You will be notified if any standardized test scores are required in order to complete your application.

Reentry Applicants

Application Fee: The application fee is not required if you are applying to a UW System institution you have previously attended as a degree-seeking student.

Transcripts: You need not resubmit your high school transcripts. However, if you have attended any college or university since you last attended the institution you now wish to reenter, you must request official transcripts from these institutions.

Test Scores: Not required.

International Applicants

International applicants are required to provide a non-U.S. permanent home address when applying for admission.

Some UW campuses do not use this application form for international student admission. You are encouraged to obtain application information from each institution you are applying to. The institution(s) to which you are applying will provide detailed instructions for completing the application process. In addition to an application fee and an official transcript(s), you will be required to provide other documents to complete your application.

Special/Nondegree Applicants

Each UW System institution has separate procedures for the admission of students who are interested in enrolling in undergraduate level courses without formally entering a degree program. Some institutions use a different application form for students in this category. Consult the appropriate UW System institution for specific information about admission, deadlines and the correct form to use.


Wisconsin Statues, Section 36.27(2), govern resident status for tuition purposes. If you do not qualify as a Wisconsin resident, in most cases your tuition will be assessed at the significantly higher out-of-state rate. In determining resident status for tuition purposes, different standards are used than those which may be used for voting, paying taxes, etc. Individuals who come to Wisconsin primarily for educational purposes do not automatically qualify as Wisconsin residents for tuition purposes even after living in Wisconsin a year or more. You may be asked to provide further information related to a determination of resident status for tuition purposes.

In general, you must be a bona fide resident of Wisconsin for at least 12 months prior to enrollment to be eligible for in-state tuition, but there are some exceptions:

1. If you graduated from a Wisconsin high school and your parent(s) lived continuously and only in Wisconsin for the 12 months prior to enrollment, you may qualify as a Wisconsin resident. Complete all sections of the application and your status will be determined.

2. If one of your parents lives in Wisconsin and you are a tax dependent of your parents, or if you are a refugee who came to Wisconsin immediately upon entering the United States, you may be able to pay fees and tuition at the resident rate. You may also qualify for the resident rate if you are a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Wisconsin, a migrant worker who has worked in Wisconsin annually, or the spouse or child of a person in one of these categories. If you believe you qualify under one of these categories, contact the campus to which you are applying for information about Wisconsin Statutes 36.27(2).

3. If you, your spouse, or someone who claims you as a tax dependent has relocated to Wisconsin for full-time continuous employment with a current employer, or has accepted new full-time employment with current employer before moving to Wisconsin and before applying for admission to a UW System institution, if that employment has begun before your term of enrollment and continues full-time with the same employer, you may qualify as a resident for tuition purposes if you intend to establish and maintain a permanent home in Wisconsin. You will be contacted for additional information.

If you are unsure whether you qualify for resident tuition under any of these provisions, contact the institution to which you are applying for more information.

Minnesota Residents: You may be eligible to participate in the Wisconsin/Minnesota tuition reciprocity program. Contact the Office of Higher Education, 1450 Energy Park Drive, Suite 350, St. Paul, MN 55108-5227 (1-651-642-0567 or 1-800-657-3866) or visit their website at for more information. On this application, you should not claim legal Wisconsin residence. You will be classified as a nonresident at the institution where you enroll. To expedite verification please provide your social security number.

Additional Information

Previous Name(s): Be sure to provide all previous names under which any high school or postsecondary educational records may exist for you.

Racial/Ethnic Heritage: You are not required to disclose your racial/ethnic heritage. However, you are strongly encouraged to do so. Your response to this question will help the UW System meet federal reporting requirements. Your response may also assist in identifying opportunities and awarding scholarships and financial aid. American Indian or Alaska Natives are encouraged to enter tribal affiliation in addition to checking the appropriate category. The category Other Asian includes people with origins in the Far East, Southeast Asia and the Indian subcontinent. The racial/ethnic information you provide will be treated as confidential.

Social Security Number: Federal law allows the UW System to request and use your Social Security Number (SSN). While you are not legally required to provide your SSN on this form, you are strongly encouraged to do so. You will be required to provide your SSN when you apply for financial aid or educational tax benefits. If you provide your SSN, it will be used and disclosed only as described in "Use and Disclosure of Social Security Number."

Return to Wisconsin: If you are not a Wisconsin or Minnesota resident and you are admitted to a campus that your parent(s), grandparent(s) or legal guardian(s) graduated from, you may qualify for a nonresident tuition discount. Campuses participating in the "Return to Wisconsin" tuition discount program are: UW-Eau Claire, UW-Green Bay, UW-La Crosse, UW-Oshkosh, UW-Parkside, UW-River Falls, UW-Stevens Point, UW-Stout and UW-Whitewater. If the campus to which you are applying participates in this program and you are admitted, you will be sent information requiring documentation to qualify for the nonresident tuition discount.

Wisconsin Covenant: This program was designed to encourage Wisconsin youth to pursue an educational path that will lead to higher education. Many students signed the Wisconsin Covenant "Pledge" in 8th grade. For more information on the Wisconsin Covenant, visit

Semester/Term you plan to enter: If you plan to enter a UW System institution during an interim term, contact the campus you plan to enter for specific information regarding availability, dates and admission process.

Financial Aid: You may submit an application for financial aid after January 1 of the year in which you wish to enroll (for fall semester applicants). Most institutions have financial aid priority dates or deadlines, so it is generally to your advantage to apply as soon as possible after January 1. A financial aid application form and information concerning the application process may be obtained from your high school counselor or from the financial aid office of the institution(s) to which you are applying.

To access the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), visit If applying for spring or summer semester enrollment, consult the individual institution for information about appropriate deadlines.

Note that you must provide your Social Security Number on your application if you intend to apply for financial aid. Applying for financial aid will have no bearing on an admission decision.

On-Campus Housing: Since demand for student housing exceeds availability at many institutions, it is important to apply for housing as early as possible. Most UW System institutions automatically furnish housing information and materials to each applicant admitted. UW-Madison sends a housing contract to admitted students for the fall semester as long as space remains available; however, students interested in living on campus beginning in the spring semester must submit a separate housing application available by writing or calling the University Housing Office. Students wishing to live on campus at UW-Barron, UW-Fox Valley, UW-Marathon County, UW-Marinette or UW-Richland should request an application from the Student Services Office.

Equal Opportunity: The UW System is committed to equal opportunity for all persons regardless of race, color, sex, creed, age, ancestry, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, political affiliation, pregnancy, parental status, or marital status in its educational programs, activities and employment policies. This statement is published in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (as amended), and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Inquiries concerning compliance with the requirements of Title IX referring to equal opportunity regardless of sex may be directed to the UW System Office of Equal Opportunity Compliance, 1570 Van Hise Hall, 1220 Linden Drive, Madison, Wisconsin 53706 (608-262-5504). Inquiries pertaining to nondiscrimination on the basis of disability may be addressed to the Office of the Chancellor at the institution to which you are applying.

Use and Disclosure of Social Security Number: Federal law allows the University to request and use your Social Security Number (SSN) for routine record keeping, institutional statistics and research, and compliance with Federal and State reporting requirements. Although providing the SSN is not required for admission to the University, it is required for financial aid and ensures that you will be able to claim the new educational tax benefits, if eligible, on your federal tax return. The University may use the SSN for billing and collection efforts, financial aid, internal verification and administrative purposes.

The SSN is protected under the Federal Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C 552a) and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. 1232g) and will only be disclosed as provided above or with the student's consent or as otherwise required or permitted by law.

Use and Disclosure of Racial/Ethnic Information: The U.S. Department of Education (DOE) requires the University to report the number of students in various racial/ethnic categories. Your cooperation in furnishing accurate information will be appreciated.

Racial/ethnic heritage information will be treated as confidential and will not appear on academic records, grade reports, class lists or transcripts. Individual student racial/ethnic information will be released only with the student's consent or as otherwise permitted by law.

Services for Veterans: For the purposes of this application only, a veteran is a former or current member of the United States Military. Veterans no longer serving need to have been discharged in good standing. Eligibility for benefits or services will vary based upon the individual's specific level of service. Please note that other agencies or applications may use a different definition to establish veteran status.

UW System institutions are approved to offer veterans' educational benefits under programs provided by the U.S Department of Veterans Affairs and the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs. There are also programs and benefits that provide services to spouses and children of those who have or are currently serving in the U.S Military.

For information on veterans' educational benefits, contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Service at 800-827-1000 or visit their website at Information on Wisconsin state benefits is available from the Wisconsin Department of Veterans Affairs: call 800-947-8387 or visit their website at The names and phone numbers of veterans affairs coordinators for each UW System institution can be found in the UW HELP website at